Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Phone Request

With only a few days left in 2007, I received the following email (number changed, obviously)

"Can you call me at XXX-YYY-ZZZZ?"

Yes, quite innocent. In fact, I kind of admire the simplicity of it.

I never called. I knew why she wanted me to call. I didn't want to. I already had a girlfriend at the time, who I've been with since. I would have to tell her that. It's a big pain in the butt having to let someone down, especially when it has to do with dating and relationships. If I didn't have a girlfriend, it would have been worse, because I would have had to explain why I would rather remain single than have crazy as a girlfriend.

I didn't feel I owed her anything either. We weren't good friends. We weren't close. Aside from that initial period of two or three weeks, we didn't even talk much to each other much, despite being in the same place about once a week. It had been nearly a year since I made contact of any kind with her, and that last time was only to be polite.

In retrospect, it might have been wise to make the call.